Jetstream is an NSF/XSEDE resource designed to promote and provide configurable cyberinfrastructure in the form of cloud computing to both novice and experienced users.
XSEDE offers Jetstream Trial Allocations (JTA) to Jetstream. JTA are designed to allow potential users to sample limited access to Jetstream.
Since there is no formal allocation proposal request, within one business day, users will be able to access and evaluate Jetstream prior to requesting a more involved larger startup or research allocation.
JTA allocations are significantly limited:
- 1000 Service Units (per cloud provider)
- 2 m1.tiny (1-core) OR 1 m1.small (2-core) Virtual Machine (VM) instance per cloud at a time
- 1 VM backup snapshot per instance,
- 1 small 10 GB disk external storage volume.
This is enough capacity to give new users an experience with virtual computing and try some "cloud-native" work without substantial impact on the system.
- For example: The minimum 6-core MATLAB image WILL NOT be usable with this trial allocation.
There is a smaller, very limited, MATLAB Minimal image that will work with the JTA.
The JTA is for exploratory purposes only and currently the limits are hard-wired into the allocation.
The additional limits placed on JTA accounts are not present for Startup and Full allocations.
XSEDE currently has quite a rapid turn around on Startup allocations, often less than a week (excluding holidays).
More details about allocations are described here:
To enroll in the Jetstream Trial Allocation:
- Browse to the XSEDE portal: https://portal.xsede.org
- Follow the first 1-6 steps of http://wiki.jetstream-cloud.org/Jetstream+Allocations:
- Click "Create Account" on the left side of your screen.
- Fill out the form and click Submit.
- Upon receipt of the email notification click the link in the email to verify your account and set your username and password. If the link doesn't work, go to https://portal.xsede.org/, click "Sign In" and then select "Verify Account" under the "Other Sign In Options".
- Following account verification, if not already logged in, go to https://portal.xsede.org/, click "Sign In" and sign in with the username and password set in the verification step.
- You will be asked to read and accept the User Responsibilities form. This form outlines acceptable use to protect shared resources and intellectual property.
- Click on "MyXSEDE" tab in the XSEDE User Portal
- In the lower left bar, Click “Enroll”
- This will take you to a page describing Trial Access and allowing you to Enroll or Unenroll
- Click the “Enroll Trial Access Button”
- A Successful Enrollment will show:
- Wait approximately 4 hours for your allocation to propagate through the authentication system.
- Continue with Instructions at : https://wiki.jetstream-cloud/Quick+Start+Guide
Please note that the JTA Allocation currently has ID TG-ASC160018.
- You may unenroll at any time on the same page with: