Jetstream utilizes Atmosphere, an easy to use web application, on-demand environment that is designed to accommodate computationally and data-intense research tasks, including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) with advanced APIs; Platform as a Service (PaaS) for developing and deploying software to the science community; and Software as a Service (SaaS).
Some of the key features include:
- Access virtual machine images preconfigured with an operating system and software to help you do scientific computations in domain-specific tasks
- Find and use tools with the intuitive self-service portal
- Easily manage virtual machines
- Publish your own software suites, create your own work environments, and run the software for community use
- Integrate with existing infrastructure components using API services
- Easily generate and manage statistical reporting of user resources for total CPU hours and memory usages, total instances and applications launched by user, cloud monitoring, and on-demand intelligence resource allocation
Within Atmosphere, you launch an instance (a launched image of a virtual machine), selecting from the list of available images (a template of a virtual machine containing an installed operating system, software, and configuration). It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with Linux command-line as some actions require some degree of knowledge of the command-line interface.